The winners of the 2017 ALA Stonewall Book Awards were announced at the American Library Association’s Annual Conference in Chicago, and the list of winners is truly inspirational!
Barbara Gittings Literature Award
Desert Boys, by Chris McCormick (New York: Picador); ISBN: 9781250075505
Israel Fishman Nonfiction Award
Mike Morgan & Larry Romans Children’s & Young Adult Literature Award
- Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor, by Rick Riordan (Los Angeles: Disney-Hyperion); ISBN: 9781423160922
- If I Was Your Girl, by Meredith Russo (New York: Flatiron Books); ISBN: 9781250078407
Stonewall Honor Books in Literature
- Beautiful gravity: a novel, by Martin Hyatt (New York: ANTIBOOKCLUB); ISBN: 9780997592306
- Dig, by Bryan Borland (Fairfax, Virginia: Stillhouse Press); ISBN: 9780990516989
- Guapa, by Saleem Haddad (New York: Other Press); ISBN: 9781590517697
- Hide: a novel, by Matthew Griffin (New York: Bloomsbury USA); ISBN: 9781632863386
Stonewall Honor Books in Non-Fiction
- Not straight, not white: black gay men from the march on Washington to the AIDS crisis, by Kevin J. Mumford (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press); ISBN: 9781469626840
- One-man show: the life and art of Bernard Perlin, by Michael Schreiber (Berlin: Bruno Gmünder GmbH); ISBN: 9783959850186
- Rethinking sexism, gender, and sexuality, edited by Annika Butler-Wall, Kim Cosier, et. al. (Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Rethinking Schools); ISBN: 9780942961591
- Tomboy Survival Guide, by Ivan E Coyote (Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press); ISBN: 9781551526560
Stonewall Honor Books in Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- When the Moon Was Ours, by Anna-Marie McLemore (New York: Thomas Dunne Books, St. Martin’s Griffin); ISBN: 9781250058669
- Unbecoming, by Jenny Downham (New York: David Fickling Books/Scholastic Inc.); ISBN: 9780545907170
- Pride: Celebrating Diversity & Community, by Robin Stevenson (Victoria, British Columbia: Orca Book Publishers); ISBN: 9781459809932
Robin Stevenson is a B.C.-based author who has been interviewed here on the blog before, and we’re beyond thrilled for her! Congratulations, Robin, on this well deserved award!!
You can also read Rick Riordin’s moving acceptance speech here.